[RC] Lake Carl Trail Improvements - paul

When it was announced that the 2009 AHA 100 Mile Championship ride was to be
held at Lake Carl Blackwell, several members of Ozark Country Endurance Riders
contacted Ride Management. We were familiar with these trails, and most of us
felt they were very unsuitable for a 100 mile ride.  In my short Endurance
career, I have smashed a knee into  a tree three times. Two of those were at
LCB. I felt the trail at Lake Carl was more dangerous, after dark , than Tevis,
or the old Old Dominion trails.

When the trails were originally done, many areas just had cedar branches
trimmed back to give a 5 -7 foot path between them. Over the course of years,
those trimmed trees grew, and the gaps between them narrowed drastically. In
places you were riding around sharp turns with only 3-4 feet clearance between
sharp branch ends of 2-5 inches in diameter. Think of a gauntlet of spear ends,
and  trying to ride a horse through them, and you have a fairly accurate
picture. Besides the cedars, there were thorny locust trees. You don't have to
hit one of those at a great speed to hurt yourself or your horse. There were
also many places where tree roots of 1-4 inches in diameter had come loose from
the soil and were acting as trip ropes.  Adding to times damage to the trails,
the clay soils of Oklahoma had eroded to leave deep ruts in some sections. All
of these factors would add danger to the equines involved. During daylight
hours, riders could see the bad areas well enough to slow down, but
at night it would be a different situation. We have held many successful LD and
50 mile rides At LCB. We have never held a 100 mile ride there.

Ride Management came, and looked at the trails. They worked with locals and the
park ranger to correct these issues. Their efforts made this ride much safer.
No horses or riders were impaled on a tree branch, or had their necks broken
from being tripped  by a root. This is a good thing. Riders told me that the
White loop in particular had stayed very technical.

The trails were repaired using a bulldozer in sections, as well as many hours
of hand work. It was a small bulldozer. Bigger than a Tonka Toy, but smaller
than a Cat D-6. It did a nice job, without raping the land.

The bottom line is that a safe and scenic ride was held. Those who enjoyed
rides at Lake Carl Blackwell will appreciate the small changes that were made.
Those that have never been there and come for the first time will not believe
that any place that far into Central Oklahoma can have trails that pretty.

Paul N. Sidio
VP
Ozark Country Endurance Riders