From: "rides2far@xxxxxxxx" <rides2far@xxxxxxxx>
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tue, October 13, 2009 10:50:20 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] Bird's loong Yellowhammer story

Susan,
This makes *perfect* sense! Great idea!!!

For any of you who need some encouragement, I highly recommend you read Susan's story. What I like about Susan is she never quit. She decided to do 50 miles with her thick little TWH and showed up at Skymont a few years back. I was ready to not like her when I saw she planned to have her horse sleep in a stock trailer right next to where I was planning to try to sleep...but then he turned out to be a very quiet horse and she turned out to be a very nice person. She went over time on her first try..and her second. Mostly being extremely cautious but also working the beef off that lean mean racing machine. :-)  By Longstreet's Charge he was ready but she thought she detected something wrong about 8 miles in and took quite a bit of time on the trail and let everyone get away from her again. The vets told her he was 100% fine but she was disheartened at the prospect of trying to ride completely alone again and was ready to pull. Fortunately, I found out she still had people behind her so she agreed to go on. They finished a tough ride and really proved both of them were endurance stock!

So...to see Bird on his *next* outing finishing top 10 and  taking high vet score was a special treat for all of us.  Couldn't have happened to a nicer, or more deserving pair. :-))

Angie McGhee