Re: [RC] renaming a horse - Rebecca Fabiszak

My daughter's first full QH came to us with no registration and the name "Rowdy". We never once called him that. He was registerable when I bought him as a near 3 year old. His registered name is "Anna's Chocolate Bar". He is a gorgeous Brown/Liver Chestnut with Palomino eyes. We still needed a name for him to go by all of the time. Anna and I were watching "Finding Neverland" one night when the name "Porthos" was used. We both looked at each other and at that moment our little boy became "Porthos", the forth drunken Musketeer. Never have thought of him with any other name. Beccy (Carol's best friend from childhood!)

From: k s swigart <katswig@xxxxxxx>
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Mon, October 5, 2009 9:03:23 PM
Subject: [RC] renaming a horse

CK said:

> I generally leave the horse's name what it is. I hate
> it when some one changes a horse's name when I sell it.

Well...people wouldn't change the names of their horses if the horses' former/original owners didn't give them absolutely idiotic names that nobody in their right mind would ever actually call a horse, and no self-respecting horse would like to be addressed by.  In fact, I have seen plenty of owners who have given the horse a name that they have never actually called the horse, and these owners give them "barn" names as well.  If you are going to call the horse Fred, then NAME it Fred.

Additionally, I simply cannot agree with this statement from Marv:

> If you name a horse Sugar, Lovey, Sweety, Baby or the
> like everyone who approaches it will approach it openly
> and the horse will respond accordingly.

I have found the exact opposite to be true, and that horses with names like these would do better being named "Wishful Thinking."  I knew somebody who named her horse Serena (in the hopes that it would come true).  And I advise people NEVER to name a horse Lucky.  As, though I have met plenty of horses named Lucky, not a single one of them was.

kat
Orange County, Calif.
:)