[RC] Improving rider balance & equitation - Naomi Preston

What a great topic, Garrett!

Here are my two recommendations, which have helped me throughout my endurance riding career spanning the last 23+ years.

1.  Centered Riding & Connected Riding:  As Beverley mentioned, Centered Riding lessons are a super way to improve your balance and equitation. Donna Snyder-Smith (SF Bay Area)  is an awesome instructor, specializing in her work with endurance riders.    http://www.donnasnydersmith.com/    And an evolution of Centered Riding is Connected Riding,
by Peggy Cummings.   http://peggycummings.com/   Peggy was the first Master Instructor under Sally Swift, who developed Centered Riding.  She lives near Seattle, but travels the world teaching. (Peggy Cummings will be a speaker at the next PNER convention in Portland.) Without Donna and Peggy, I would not be half the rider I am today.  My horses are better athletes and are much happier as a result of  working with both of them.

2.  Feldenkrais:  The Feldenkrais Method is a wonderful technique that is used to improve athletic performance (high level runners, top ski racers, dancers); improve body function after injury, and to just make using your body easier.  You could be achieve "perfect balance" on a horse by being in the center of gravity, but if your body is rigid and tight, it won't feel very good to the horse (or to you either).  A better "balance" is one that is synergistic with the horse, and with a body that is supple and moving.  Check out Feldenkrais classes or Practitioners in your area.   http://www.feldenkrais.com/practitioners/find/  If you happen to be in the Boise area, Practitioner Robert Spencer is doing a series of classes on Better Balance this fall.  http://robertlspencer.com/classes.aspx  He is an awesome instructor.
I take my Feldenkrais CD's with me to every endurance ride I attend, and always do at least one of the exercises before a competition.  I am always amazed at how much more freedom of movement and balance my body has.   Feldenkrais trivia -- Linda Tellington-Jones was a Feldenkrais Practitioner before she developed the TTEAM method for horses.  The Feldenkrais work is apparent in her work with horses.

Naomi