Re: [RC] Question and answers for new vets - Truman Prevatt

Actually the CRI was adapted from human medicine to endurance by Dr. Kerry Ridgeway. It was initially called the "Ridgeway Trot." It's been around for at least 20 years. It's use is to determine the rate of recovery which is some indication level of fatigue. I did a google search and found some informative articles. http://www.horsejunction.co.za/sahorseman/images/acrobat/mei2007/understanding%20the%20cardiac%20recovery%20index.pdf

It is known that the heart rate in a conditioned athelte should undergo exponential decay after the susession of exercise. The parameters of that decay are though to be an indicator of the fitness and level of fatigue. Resarch on how to estimate these parameters in humans is still on going. http://jap.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/82/6/1794

Some vets use it all the time - at every check. Some only use it if the other parameters indicate more data is required. One of the most knowledgeable vets I've ever ridden under - no longer involved in endurance sadly - used to say "the CRI at the end for BC only tell you what the horse did the last 5 miles."

Many CRI organizations use the CRI at 10 minutes of the finish to estimate fitness and will subtract points based on it.

Truman

Coles wrote:

I am wondering if "we" are trying to place too much importance on the values we are obtaining for the following reasons:
- the CRI is "intended" to be a diagnostic tool for endurance races
- endurance is 50-100 miles
- only the top 10 horses would be receiving the CRI's
- the top 10 riders would be riding a hell of a lot faster than what we typically ride in a LD, in a miles per hour sense
- in Maine I did the 25 in 3:10 and only because I got sucked into Steve Rojeks vortex as he passes me.... but it DID give me great insight into the speed with which they travel at the end of 50 miles!
- folks who do the 50's in the paces that "we" typically ride for the LD's, do not get CRI's done because they do not Top Ten
- the intent of the CRI is to show cardiac recovery, stress, fitness level etc
- I don't think the pace of 5-6 miles per hour is significant enough to be a TRUE indicator of cardiac stress when the riders walk the last 1/2 to 1 mile......

Thoughts???????

--
“I maintain there is much more wonder in science than in pseudoscience

“I maintain there is much more wonder in science than in pseudoscience. And in addition, to whatever measure this term has any meaning, science has the additional virtue, and it is not an inconsiderable one, of being true.” Carl Sagan