[RC] re: awards - Michelle Aquilino

I concur with the gift certificate idea, this prevents my worry of people winning things they won't end up using :-/

I also empathize with Roberta's situation at the VA Highlands ride.? If you are kind enough to pre-register early, you should be entitled to one of the t-shirts (if you really want one), even if there is not enough for everyone.

Ride managers can satisfy the required "award" while still offering a discounted entry fee to those who opt for that option.? It's easy to make low cost / free completion awards.? You could simply make a pet rock holding a sign that says the ride name, date, distance, etc.? Or some other crafty thing.? If I EVER put on a ride and wanted to save money, I'd probably pick out a craft and make all the completion awards.? Will make me nostalgic to being a girl scout and making swaps ;-)? But seriously, when the time comes when I have a ton of t-shirts and don't "care" as much about always getting a t-shirt, I think a "swap" type award would be cute and unique, and guaranteed not to be a repeat!? Of course, people have posted on here not liking things that are basically "clutter" and not usable.? I don't know.? I have some swaps I made when I was a kid, that I am so proud of, they are proudly displayed on my bookshelf along with all my other nick-nacks =)

I think I misunderstood someone's post, but it made me think of the idea of discounted/free ride entries for next year for some of the special awards (like top 10 or something, might be too many discounts if given as a completion award).? People like saving money, and it will encourage people to come back again! =)

-- "Don't breed or buy while shelter animals die"