[RC] Directions to Indian Territory - Susan

I was looking at the directions I put on my flier and just have to wonder what I was thinking!  Folks have gotten to this ride for years with these directions.  I think I messed them up 4 years ago but you all still got there!  Anyway...I've added a few landmarks.

Location: From Hwy 66 at Foyil, OK, turn onto Oklahoma section EW 400.  (A couple of intersections past the school but very close...only 1/3 of a mile.  Look for the church and my "AERC Ride" sign.) Make a dogleg across the railroad tracks. Go straight west. Approximately 1/3 mile (behind the school) there will be an intersection of EW 400 & NS 4200, stay on EW 400 west 2 miles to intersection of EW 400 & NS 4180. Turn north (right) onto NS 4180. Go one mile to an old store on the southeast corner and turn west (left) on EW 390 (Blue Creek Rd). Go west approximately 1-½ miles to Blue Creek campground. Go straight past guardhouse and follow the road left to the horse camp.

The weather is looking great!  Jim Baldwin and several other OCER members (plus my wonderful boyfriend whom you'll get to meet!) have put a lot of work into these trails.  I've got pictures of the damage caused by the past 3 floods and ice storms.  Total annihilation!  We aren't talking a few trees laying across the trail.  The trails were washed away!  Literally dozens and dozens of trees were down.  Since no one could access the trail, the forest was reclaiming itself.  Jim used his tractor to push trees out of the way and mow trail while the rest of us chainsawed downed trees and cut back those crazy thorny vines.  The trail has flooded again and the water is receding.  Dr. Jim is walking the trail this very moment (just got off the phone with him) and making go-arounds at the bogs.  So, this trail IS in shape!

Remember the pot luck Saturday after the ride followed by the OCER annual meeting

We are selling $5 chances for a wonderful camping/horseback riding trip to the Smokey Mtns.  All proceeds go to "Hooves for a Cure" which is a fundraiser for the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Research Foundation.

If you and anyone you know would be willing and able to adopt a mile of trail, please let me know.  Jim is making the arrangements today (maybe tomorrow) to mark each mile with the name of the person or group who adopted that mile.  Plans are to have this in place by Thanksgiving.  Those of us who have adopted a mile (or more!) will be responsible for maintaining that mile.  Dr. Jim is organizing it and will be the "go-to" man.  This is an excellent idea for other trails as well.  We have a wonderful working relationship with the Corps and the local Ranger.  Working on and maintaining trails makes the land "owners" look good and feel good about us (horseback riders).

If you have any questions, please e-mail or call me.  See you this weekend!

Susan "I hate thorny vines!" Young, Ride Manager