[RC] [Ride Stories] Trans Scotland - Run for the Roses, John's Blog - Endurance.Net

Run for the Roses Blog

...With each steady footfall we got deeper into the narrowing glen. Its spectacular countryside, wild landscape of craggy tops, heather clad hillsides. It was an idyllic day; the early morning mist had cleared, leaving brighter more settled skies. At any other time it would have been a place to linger. But for us we had a task in hand. A few minutes later we reached the ford where the Geldie Burn meets the Alt-an-t-Sleilich. The approach to the ford looked fine, a nice easy gradient slanting down into the river then out again at the opposite side. What didn’t look like an immediate source of fun was the height and velocity of the river? The heat of the past few days had created a fairly substantial snowmelt. Combined with the thunderstorm of the previous afternoon, this of course had put the rivers and wide burns, all tributaries of the Dee into spate.

[...more]

--
Posted By Endurance.Net to Ride Stories at 1/20/2009 06:33:00 PM