Re: [RC] Proper hay storage - Barbara McCrary

We store our hay directly on concrete and have no problem with rot-out.  We have rain in winter and moderate humidity in summer (from the Pacific Ocean atmosphere.)  I guess a lot would depend on what kind of weather you have.

Barbara

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, January 19, 2009 7:23 PM
Subject: [RC] Proper hay storage

Our barn presently has a dirt floor and wooden planks for hay storage.  We are thinking of concreting the barn floor and I'm concerned about putting the hay directly on concrete because I think it might rot out the bottom bales.  I believe there should be some ventilation between the concrete and the bottom row of hay, perhaps plywood and boards under the plywood to allow air circulation.  I'd appreciate any ideas and know this is the best place to go for answers.  Thanks.

Amber