[RC] re: Roger's clot-OT - Cindy Collins

Hi, Roger. My husband, Keith had a major clot (DVT) that broke off, went into his lungs, and kept him in the hospital several days and on Heparin and "rat poison" for a long time. His was a scary medical story, too. He'd seriously injured a knee marking trail for the BH 100, blew the ACL and torn up meniscus, etc. A local ortho doc, put him in a knee/leg brace despite his history of having a clot after a previous surgery. When Keith complained of chest pain and worsening pain in his leg, they told him to take more pain killer and schedule a stress test to check for any heart issues. This was not sounding right to me. I ran into a doctor friend in the grocery parking lot and she told me to get him into the ER. Of course, he wouldn't listen to me :) The following evening, we had dinner with another friend who is an ER nurse. I told her about it and she made him drop his pants asap and show her the leg. She said get him to the ER now, it's a clot. I am very lucky he's alive and I suspect you are lucky, too, Roger. I've sent him your post and he may have some thoughts to share with you. BTW, he's riding horses and motorcycles just fine now, but I dont recall how long he waited. He did have surgery to repair the knee after he was off the anti-clotting drugs. I do know that he has to wear prescription compression stockings on that leg forever and his circulation is forever damaged in that leg. He has to be very careful about sitting too long and has to get up and walk around on long flights. Cindy