Re: [RC] 1/2 or 1 hour hold - Elizabeth Walker

Very good summary, Diane. I will add a couple of things.

I believe the 30-minute proposal is to perform the full exit exam at 30 minutes. A poster on the AERC forum made the observation that there are two groups of horses that need care: the delayed recovery group, and the late problem group, where problems develop 30 - 60 minutes after the horse has finished.

I'm not sure just moving things up helps. Yes - it lets the vets catch horses who are not recovering. It prevents the scenario where the rider goes back to the trailer, and thinks the horse just needs a bit more time (I have an hour), when in reality the horse is going downhill fast.

However, it then misses the "late crashers", cause the DQ of horses who don't go on to develop problems, and it can be a logistics nightmare for rides with out-of-camp finish lines.

I'm not sure how to resolve the issue. A horse whose pulse isn't dropping might be in trouble, and should be seen by a vet immediately, or it might not. The best compromise I can think of is to have an early pulse *check* (discretion of head vet). If the horse is at criteria, then it has the rest of the hour to present, but *cannot* present prior to 1 hour after finish. If the horse is *not* at criteria, it *must* be seen by the vet as soon as possible, who can then work with the rider to determine if the horse is in trouble or not. If he is in trouble, then the horse is DQd and treatment is started.

None of that requires any rule change. Lots of vets give instructions to present as late as possible.