Re: [RC] 1/2 or 1 hour hold - Joe Long

sbolinge@xxxxxxx wrote:
If the standard at the finish of a ride is "fit to continue" then shouldn't the horses have to meet all the same criteria in the same allotted time as has been at the other vet checks?
The finish line is NOT a vet check.  It is different in several critical ways:  it is where the race ends, it is where the order of finish is determined, and most importantly, horses are done when they get there, they are not leaving camp and going on down the trail.

Horses aren't pulled at vet checks if they don't recover in 30 minutes because all such horse are unfit to continue.  The 30-minute cutoff at vet checks is predictive, and for safety.  It is done because a horse taking longer than 30 minutes to recover is LIKELY to get into metabolic distress if subjected to additional stress, and if he goes on that would happen out on the trial far from a vet.  So we take the precaution of not subjecting them to that risk.

We do not, and should not, pull every horse at the finish because SOME of them would become unfit to continue five or ten miles further on.

If the 30-minute recovery is implemented, some horses that are fit to continue and have earned a completion will be disqualified because of it.  I don't think that's right, do you?

The horses have to pass a complete vet exam, which looks at much more than just pulse, to complete the ride. That exam tells us much more reliably if a horse is fit to continue. We don't NEED a 30-minute cutoff to disqualify horses that are not fit to continue.

--
Joe Long  aka ChipRider
jlong@xxxxxxxxxxxxx