[RC] BSF 2009 Ride Story - Part 3 - April

* version with pictures on my blog: http://www.enduranceriderblog.com

Friday, September 11

I got up at 5:30 AM and took the horses for a walk to limber them up a
bit. Then back to the trailer for their breakfast and mine.

As I filled out the date on Serts' vet card, I reflected a bit on
September 11, 2001.

Just before 7 AM, I took Serts up to the start area where the 50s were
gathering to start their ride. I did not expect the spinning idiot I
ended up with. Serts was beside himself with excitement.

After the 50s took off, I asked Dr. Ken to vet Serts in for the 30.
Serts would not stand still. He side stepped and jerked his head and
was a major pain. I apologized several times. Note to self: vet Serts
in the day before the ride at all costs, even if you don't think
you're going to ride. Sub-note to self: let Serts watch as many starts
as possible. At least he had great impulsion at the trot out.

After the vet in, I hurried back to the trailer to saddle up. I still
wasn't sure what the day would hold, but I knew I had a lot of horse
to face it with!

Daniel usually helps me mount Tanna at the start of a competition
because Tanna has been known to be silly and buck like crazy when I
get on. Having somebody at his head helps with that. But this morning
he wanted to take off to go a-wandering before I was ready to mount,
so I cheerfully told him to go on as Serts is much easier to deal
with.

I led Serts out of the pen and tied him to the outside of it. Then I
went in and opened the divider so Tanna would have the entire pen
while we were gone. Despite the dancing Serts and the snorting Tanna,
I mounted quickly and headed for the start to give my number (L14) to
the waiting timers.

Serts was a bundle of energy, but he has a completely different feel
than Tanna. I always feel like I'm on a powder keg with Tanna. About
to explode. But Serts just dances and doesn't really feel scary. More
fun than scary.

After giving my number to the timers, I continued to warm Serts up and
spotted Tamra and Rising. We chatted for a minute. Rising was quite
calm and steady. Like an old hand. Very impressive. I teased Tamra a
bit about waking him up. She took it good naturedly and said she quite
liked it, thank you!

Since this was only Serts' second LD ride, we hung out near the back
of the main pack until trail was open, then I let him trot easily past
the vets doing the second day trot out (looking for soundness issues).

And we were off! I found my self tucked behind Tykee and her
granddaughter Lily. Lily was riding Mazon, a 25-year-old Arabian
gelding with lots of experience. Quite a fun pair to ride with.

We passed a couple of small groups, including Tamra whose horse had
quite miraculously awakened. ;)

After awhile, I decided the pace was too fast for Serts and let Tykee
and Lily pull away from us. Of course, Serts thought that was awful
and snorted and side-passed and did all sorts of fun moves. Still
didn't scare me. I laughed at him as his HR kept dropping even with
all his antics.

We let a couple more riders pass us and I settled him into a good 8
mph trot. He startled when another group of 3 came up behind us so I
quickly pulled him off to the side to let them pass. I was happy to
see Tamra and happier still when she pulled off with us and declared
she'd hang with us for awhile.

What fun! I've ridden with her husband Joe (National Championship 100
anyone??), but hadn't had the pleasure of riding with Tamra.

We discussed our plan and found we had about the same goal in mind.
5.5 - 6 mph average for the loop.

We rode along and I admired Rising. We came up on another rider at a
creek crossing and she fell in behind us.

We fell into a fun pattern of walking and trotting. Sometimes Serts in
the lead, sometimes Rising. Our average speed was dropping with each
walking stint and our average speed neared our desired 6 mph.

I was a bit concerned about Serts' HR. It was running between 150 and
170 at a trot. Much higher than Tanna's HR. But as I observed his
attitude and energy, I began to relax and just enjoy the ride. The
walking stints allowed his HR to drop, so as long as he was
recovering, I was ok with his HR. I did mention it a lot, though! LOL.
However, the trail was gradually climbing for a good portion of the
loop and is deceptive about taking energy out of the horses.

Not far from the vet check, I could see Daniel in the distance and
dropped back so Tamra could have her picture taken. Daniel was not the
official photographer, but I really wanted a good picture of me and
Serts on trail as our first LD had been rainy and icky and no trail
pictures out of that ride!

After Tamra passed Daniel, I sent Serts on.

He was focused on Rising and didn't see Daniel until we were quite
close to him. Serts spooked a little, but I was prepared for it and it
wasn't too bad.

On into the vet check we went. I dismounted when I saw the check and
walked him in. By the time we found our vet check area, Serts' HR was
already down to 54. We quickly stripped the saddle and went into the
pulse box.

Serts vetted in quite mannerly (whew!) and quite well with only an A-
and the rest all As. Back to our area and Serts went after his hay and
grain and apples while barely noticing the other horses around. I was
having a blast and chattered like a magpie to Joe and Tamra and Dr.
Ike and Rebekah during the check. I ate a granola bar, drank some
water and bounced around. I didn't even realize I never sat down that
entire check.

Soon it was time to saddle up again and I spent some time cleaning off
Serts' neoprene girth, removing the sand. I borrowed a nearby mounting
block (thanks Nelia!) and was mounted and ready before my out time.
Anybody who knows me at a ride knows that's a feat! Tamra and Rising
had pulsed in before us so they headed out on trail. I hung back to
give Rising the thought that he was going out all alone and Rising
took off like a champ. Wow, what a great horse! Joe tightened my girth
for me and then off I went to catch Rising and Tamra.

Serts felt and looked great. No hesitation, no worries. What a fun day
we were having. Great weather, great trail, great horse, great
company. What more could one ask for???

We caught up with Tamra and Rising and we moseyed on down the trail.
We came on Becky Siler-Pearman, the official photographer and she got
an awesome shot of Serts and me.

Then the trail dipped and we followed it down, down to the creek
crossing. Serts drank and drank and I sponged him off. Then off we
went on a flat trail in the valley for awhile. We passed another rider
who was having an issue with her horse. We promised to let management
know to come get her and after making sure there was nothing else we
could do for her, moved on.

Then the climb started. We rode for a bit and then both Tamra and I
hopped off and walked for a good while. When we finally thought the
trail was leveling out, we mounted up again. Only to find the trail
continued to climb! I figured I'd walked enough, so stayed mounted.

Finally the trail did level out and we were headed for camp! The
horses were strong and confident, doing well, working well together.
Serts' HR was no longer a concern and we just had a great time.

A couple miles from camp, I dropped my sponge in a creek and had to
hop off in shin-deep water to grab it. I had just bought a new
biothane sponge leash and wasn't about to let it disappear! I took the
opportunity to get some of the sand off Serts' belly and then mounted
up again.

When I caught up with Tamra and Rising just up the hill a bit, Serts
started acting ugly. Just putting his ears back and giving Rising
dirty looks. I couldn't figure what his problem was. We'd gone along
well all day. Sometimes Serts in front, sometimes Rising. I let Serts
pull up along Rising and the second we were level, Serts' ears popped
forward. I asked him to back off and when Rising nosed ahead, Serts'
ears went back. Goofy horse! I scolded him lightly and backed him off
so he had to stay behind Rising.

Before we knew it, we were coming out on the road and the in-timers
were not far away! We were done! Serts looked great!

I dropped Serts' saddle on the ground and took him immediately to
pulse in for his finish time. He did great in his vet out. All As
again! He'd done it! Our second LD together! What a great feeling. I
had such a great time with Serts! So proud of that horse!

The rest of the day was spent showering, packing things up for the
drive home and attending the awards, dinner and ride meeting. I filled
out my Yellowhammer entry form for a 75 for Tanna and a 25 for Serts
the following day. I handed it to Tamra with my deposit.

Can hardly wait!

Seems like the curse of BSF is over!! At least for this year. I was so
happy to be able to ride both horses and have two completions.

The ride management does a great job at BSF. I hope to be back next
year to ride again. :)

April
Nashville, TN
http://www.enduranceriderblog.com

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far
one can go." TS Elliot