[RC] turtles...and ghosts - Dream Weaver

At 05:23 PM 9/21/2009, you wrote:
>From my perspective.  Karen Chaton=2C Trilby and I galloped the last mile t=
o camp and crossed the finish line with 5 minutes to spare a few years ago.=
  As we hit the last 1/4 mile we had to go near where the banquet was.  Eve=
ryone was already eating.  They cheered as we went by.

ROFL, I love it....they put me in last place, even tho it was my horse who galloped off and left you guys which forced you to get a move on so we'd make it in time!   Well, anyway, at least we made it and wasn't embarrassed by being OT in front of everyone.  I am used to the food being gone or awards done if I finish later in the day but don't like if they do the ride meeting for the next day before all the riders are in (on a multiday).

I don't like that people think that riders who are conservative are riding unfit horses or horses not fit enough to go faster.  That is NOT always the case, trust me.  It takes a lot more effort to ride a fit horse conservatively than a mediocre conditioned horse faster.  The best part of endurance is when the ride is the prize (Ruthie is right), and you do it for the satisfaction and not the recognition or the accolades.  It's all good (whatever your goals) but if you really enjoy the time you spend riding your horse, everything else is just icing on the cake.  In the end, all that really matters is what does your horse think of you.  Next year or a couple of decades from now nobody will remember if you were first, middle, or last on any individual ride but they will remember if you took care of your horses on a consistent basis.

At the VC 100 I had a ghost there cheering for me who stayed up all night long, so it wasn't lonely. <bg>  Check out this video of the Virginia City cemetery.  If my crew doesn't freak that I mentioned it, I'll see if I can post more about the ghost that was at the finish of the VC 100 this year.  Good thing my horse isn't too spooky, eh?  ;-)

Karen