Re: [RC] blankie for baby-yes but - jazena

Brankets on foals can accidentally get turned around and choke or suffocate them.  It is far better to let them grow a winter coat.  I had a foal born in early March during a very cold spell, high 20's, in So. Calif. near Riverside.  I put the mare & foal in a 12 x 12 pen under my carport to keep the rain off of them.  I spread a layer of straw 2 feet thick and a layer of grass hay (2 100 lb bales) over the straw.  Baby & mom did great.  Only problem, this filly (now 3 years old) is allergic to all grass hays.  Don't know if it was a result of sleeping in that bermuda grass hay as a baby or not.  I highly recommend making some cute human baby blankets and donating them to your local hospital's baby ward.
Lindak