[RC] Renegades' Lifespan - Bobbie Jo Lieberman

Hi Michelle,
I've been using Renegade hoof boots for well over a year now. My Morgan mare has 520 miles in Renegades so far this season. One boot from the very first pair I ever bought for her just snapped a cable on a training ride a couple of weeks ago. (I believe the cables can be replaced.) I've had a few wear holes through the tread in back after pushing uphill in extreme footing but otherwise all boots are "still in service". The tread becomes less "grippy" eventually and you'll end up making those your backups.

I do keep plenty of spares on hand, for changing hoof sizes (Anna went from a size 2 to a 1 in front) so I've amassed quite a collection in various colors. Part of it is paranoia - I don't want to be caught in the middle of a 50 with a busted or lost boot and no replacement. You will need to change out the straps fairly often, especially in wet conditions. The Velcro loses its grip and the straps become stiff from getting wet and drying out.

And by riding barefoot between endurance rides, she keeps her feet worn just the right amount, so trimming expenses are minimal (three months after the last trim, my hoof trimmer just called to see if I needed him to stop by. :)

Enjoy your booting adventures and let us know how it goes.

Bobbie & Annakate
southern Arizona

Michelle wrote: >Now that they've been on the trail for quite a while, I'm hoping that there
is some consensus as to how many miles these boots last for?