[RC] Equine Dentistry - carolyn

Don't think that just because your equine dentist uses a speculum that they will do a good job.  For years, we used a dentist that used a speculum, never tranqed the horses and only used hand floats.  They spent 5 minutes a horse.  You can imagine the job that was done.  Then we moved to Texas.  I had an older horse that was losing weight at a terrible rate.  We found an equine dentist that came highly recommended.  He tranqed the horse, used a speculum and power tools.  He spent about 1/2 hour per horse.  That was last year, but I had to haul to him.  Very inconvenient.  So I found someone local.  Came very well recommended.  She came to my place.  Tranq, speculum, powertools, anal amount of attention to detail.  Spent 1 1/2 hours per horse, charged me an arm and a leg and was worth every dime.  She made sure that the sharp edges were gone.  That the grinding surfaces aligned in the entire length of the teeth.  Checked alignment on the front teeth.  She did my five horses.  Two of them were skinny.  One gained weight immediately and looks like my other three porkers now.  I still have a skinny one but he doesn't quid anymore and he has other medical issues.

I always thought I was hiring good dentists, but if I hadn't seen my current dentist work, I would never have known what good dentistry should look like.  It wasn't cheap.  With the barn call and all, 5 horses cost me $650.  But my feed bill is less because the food they are eating is being utilized.  A good dentist doesn't need to be a vet (the vets may disagree with that), but vets don't get enough learning from vet school to be good dentists.  They need to take a dental course that will train them properly.

Carolyn Burgess
Newton, TX
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-