[RC] alfalfa pellets VS Alfalfa hay - Nasr69

Hi
Here's the scene...Got a new horse who is a very hard keeper and very picky at that. I finally got him eating grain ( after 3 differant kinds) But the only hay he will eat is straight alfalfa. I however feed a very nice orchard/alfalfa mix. He will NOT touch it. I mean days with only eating grain. Now I know one could say "then just feed him the Alfalfa" but after eating they are turned out and off to work I go. The other horse CAN NOT have straight alafla. And I have no seperate paddock.

So could the alfalfa pellets replace the alafla hay? I should mention that I will continue to offer the O/A while turned out.(Fl. here..dry lot) But does he need it in the "hay form" to keep the guts moving?
 I am considering seeing if he could be my endurance mount.
Thanks