[RC] "unhinged" dissenters, or proactive concern? - Melissa Margetts

Bruce Weary said:
"No wonder it succeeded so well. It is quite clear to me that the outwardly expressed concerns of horse people the world over, however enthusiastic, ultimately led to the UAE offering top notch veterinary care and a mobile equine hospital. As noted above, the head organizer was "thrilled with the offer of assistance." That tells me that they sensed a need to protect the horses that had not been fulfilled by their own efforts, but rather came from the outside, ostensibly in part due to the expression of concerns heard 'round the world. I can't ever be made to feel bad about offering judicious
caution over situations that MAY cause harm to a horse." Bruce Weary

"Touche' Bruce" and...

Kat said: "Judging from the on-line response to publicizing the event, and there being no way to provide the participants with any security beyond secrecy along the 1000 km course, chancing a bunch of irrational, crack-pot lunatics going off the deep end and attempting to put a stop to it through sabotage wouldn't be something that I would want to risk. Many of the detractors of the event had already demonstrated themselves to be almost completely unhinged." and...

Holy cow, Now THAT was sure an interesting post. Yeah Kat, I'll bet that there might have actually been a REAL possibility that there might have been a bunch of total Wacko "unhinged" protesters who would have spent thousands of dollars to fly themselves and some all terrain vehicles over to Mongolia in order to harass the riders and sabotage the ride. Just as there MIGHT have been a POSSIBILTY that something could have gone terribly wrong and fatal for the horses during the ride. I guess that maybe the Adventurists did what THEY had to do to prevent the POSSIIBILITY, just as the concerned horse people did what THEY had to do to prevent the POSSIBILITY. I had NO IDEA that anyone either on ridecamp or the LongRiders or ANY other horse welfare group was demonstrating in ANY way that they were becoming irrational or "unhinged" about the Mongol Derby! I would be VERY interested to read ANY posts from Ridecamp, LongRiders, Horse & Hound or ANY sources where there was ONE person or organization who posted that they had planned, threatened or even SUGGESTED sabotaging the event or threatened the organizers let alone the riders in any way, EVER! Please post it for us if you actually HAVE ONE as an example to back up that thought. Does ANYONE have any example of such a threatening email or post? Was there REALLY some sort of PETA or ALF radical action EVER implied that none of the rest of us heard about? The dissenters of this ride, including the President of the AERC, myself, Merri Meld, Karen Chaton, Maryanne Gabianni and HUNDREDS of AERC members, signed the petition opposing this ride whether it was a "sanctioned" endurance ride or not. This Petition was also signed by thousands of people who had NO affiliation to ANY endurance group whatsoever. We were concerned for the horses themselves being used in an event that the Adventurers themselves promoted as the "Biggest, Baddest ENDURANCE RACE in the world!" We just HAPPEN to not only be concerned horsemen & women but "endurance" riders as well. We are among many other vocal individuals and groups from all over the WORLD and in many countries who responded to it like any responsible group who have completely differing opinions about an issue. A logical, and rational course of action was taken. When the Adventurists first announced their plans for this ride, dialog was initiated due to the concerns people had about the horses that were to be involved. There was initially heated debate and much concern was voiced by many individuals. Contact was made with horse groups to get a consensus and opinion based on the equine experience of their members. When there was enough concern expressed by those groups and individuals, then contact and an an appeal was made to the organizers and promoters of the event. They were contacted by multiple horse groups and asked about their intent and plan to provide adequate veterinary care. They in turn lied about the support they were to provide. The opposition in turn wrote letters of inquiry and protest to the Mongolian Government as well as to the benefactors appealing for BETTER VETERINARY CARE, SUPPORT & OVERSITE and if it were NOT provided then to stop the ride. A petition was drafted to be sent out and signed by those who apposed the ride and it was submitted to the organizers and the Mongolian Government. The petition was NOT completely ignored and there was an alternate veterinary staff that was hired as well as those offered by the UAE and the support group was increased, the race went on as planned though no outside media was allowed. By allowing even ONE journalist from one of the concerned groups like AERC or the LongRiders or even one outside, unbiased newsgroup to be included in covering this event while STILL keeping the course secret, is NOT unreasonable or a "irrational" request or threatening in any way! The Adventurists never made ANY claims that there were ever ANY attempts or threats to sabotage or physically stop this race by ANY group. The ONLY thing that the concerned horse groups asked once it was known that the ride continue as planned was to have one of their own journalists document it. SO What EXACTLY was irrational,unhinged or crack-potted about that? As far as I know, there was once a group who protested in a much more "heated" fashion and were considered "irrational radicals" in their attempt to pass laws to prevent animal abuse. That group is now called the ASPCA. Unlike Michael Vic, I don't consider them "unhinged, irrational, crack-pots". The Tevis route IS indeed well known, & horses die, as one did this very year. There are ALL KINDS of groups who appose it and disagree with it and occasionally petition it and certainly voice their opposition against it. But, Gee, as a rider, I never felt threatened by those people opposing it nor have I seen any Tevis "security" there other than for "vehicle control" for highway crossings, nor the need to keep the route secret from the press, T.V., newspaper journalists, photographers or observers looking to see how the horses were cared for and treated. There have been "outside" journalists and photographers documenting every bit of it with open media coverage for 54 years, DESPITE and INCLUDING the groups who have apposed it and are HOPING to document any injured, lame horse or dead horse to fortify their point of view. There WERE indeed two girls from some animal rights group at Robie Park two years ago trying to get signatures of opposition and handing out their fliers and taking pictures. Though I certainly didn't agree with their opinion nor signed their petition, I didn't ASSUME they were "unhinged" nor felt the need to have someone wrestle them to the ground because I felt threatened by their mere opposition. The Tevis trail is far more easily accessible than Inner Mongolia should any group WANT to sabotage IT, rather than spending thousands & thousands of dollars to fly a bunch of protesters and all terrain vehicles over to MONGOLIA! Maybe there actually MIGHT have been a time that the Tevis had protesters enough to consider needing "security". I really don't know nor have read anything about it in the history about the ride. Has anyone else heard that? Was there ever a time that they didn't allow any outside media coverage? Though there was concern, opposition, heated debate, meetings with the AERC and letters of protest against the first long XP rides,I've never heard that anyone ever felt threatened or in danger from radicals? Were the XP routes kept secret for fear of sabotage? Did the Duck AVOID media coverage or did he WELCOME it to show all the dissenters that it could be done and done without hurting the horses? By ASSUMING that voicing differing opinions automatically makes the opposition "unhinged" just makes an ASS out of U and ME. Again I say, I am GLAD that we have the right and the BALLS to stand up for what we believe in. If there were not enough "dissenters" out there, I would still be a woman with no vote, riding side-saddle in a corset & ONLY if my husband ALLOWED me too.
Melissa Margetts