Re: [RC] Mongol "Soap Box" Derby - Lif Strand

At 04:58 PM 9/6/2009, Truman Prevatt wrote:
It's time to admit that maybe just maybe - this was not an event set up by a bunch of horse killers to make money - and move on.

It may also be time to admit that the pressure from all the neigh-sayers (sorry, couldn't resist) might have made the race a safer place for the Mongolian ponies, before moving on. And I don't for one moment think that the race wasn't set up to make a bunch of money, regardless of what use it was put to. Unlike AERC's ride managers, I doubt the people who put on the Derby were hoping to "at least" break even - you know they very much expected (and probably did) make lots of money. Not that there's anything wrong with that, just saying...

There are some real issues concerning horses in the good old US of A which I hear no indigination over. For example horses are being butchered in their pastures and even their stalls in South Florida - with their meat being sold on the black market. I haven't seen one word about this - however, I've seen a lot of hand wringing and gnashing of teeth over something that turned out fine.

Well, the horse slaughter in Florida has nothing to do with AERC or racing or even sport of any kind, does it? It has to do with the economy, maybe immigration, and the fact that lots of people even in the USA, not to mention world-over, think of horses as meat animals as well as work animals. At least those Florida horses didn't have to get stuffed into a crowded commercial transport, be put into a crowded corral with strange horses eating unfamiliar feed (if any) and then get sold to the meat killers, who run them through slaughter houses - maybe after being transported again into Mexico on an even worse transport, and suffering worse conditions before being put to death. Compared to those horses, I'd say the Florida horses are meeting a merciful end. And I'd also say that Floridians should be supporting the 2nd Amendment.

Lif C. Strand
Local Economic Development
Catron County, New Mexico USA

www.critterwalls.com