[RC] Maryanne & Mongol Derby - k s swigart

Melissa said:

By keeping the whole ride route, urtuu locations and
?GPS coordinates shrouded in secrecy to everyone except
?their own media team, it was clearly intended to keep
?outside media from capturing any stories, film footage
?or pictures of any terrible mishaps that might have
?happened on the trail or document the outcome of the
?horses.
?
If you ask me, the reason for not publicizing the ride route and urtuu
locations was solely for the purpose of keeping misguided, over-zealous,
sanctimonious do-gooders from making a nuisance of themselves along the course
and attempting to "put a stop to" the event in person the way they attempted to
put a stop to in on-line.
?
A goodly number of such people had already demonstrated that they were willing
to make nuisances of themselves in cyberspace and had no interest in reasoned
discourse, the LAST thing that I would want to do is tell them where I was
actually going to be so that they could do the same in actual space.
?
Judging from the on-line response to publicizing the event, and there being no
way to provide the participants with any security beyond secrecy along the 1000
km course, chancing a bunch of irrational, crack-pot lunatics going off the
deep end and attempting to put a stop to it through sabotage wouldn't be
something that I would want to risk.
?
Many of the detractors of the event had already demonstrated themselves to be
almost completely unhinged.??Publicizing how to find the participants who would
be alone out on the Steppes of Mongolia and quite vulnerable to attack would be
absolutely crazy.? Only a total idiot would publicize such information.
?
OF COURSE they didn't tell the whole world where to find them.? Who would?!?
?
kat
Orange County, Calif.
:)