[RC] Mongol Derby adventure - Melissa Margetts

Stupid me, I can't figure out how to create the link to this blog so the following ridecamp post is a blog that Australian rider Katy Willings just posted, now that the ride is over and everyone is resting up in Ulaan Batuur. Out of the 25 riders, (all of which had blog sites on the Adventurists website) only a couple of them were able to post. Now that it is over and when they are rested up, there should be more updates and tales of their adventures. I can't wait to read more from all of these riders. There has not been one whisper from, or on, the whereabouts or experience of American rider Tara Reddy yet.
I was one of those who opposed this ride and had been very worried about the care of all these horses and the equine experience of the racers. We will probably never REALLY know if, or how many, horses were injured, lamed or possibly died after they were left at the urtus and another one was taken back on the trail, but the few reports so far are GOOD. It will only be from the mouths of the riders themselves that the actual story will be told and we ALL hope their reports on the horses and their care will be nothing but glowing. The Adventurists refused to share any route, map or urtu locations to any outside media group or journalists.The locations of the urtu horse stations, the route and GPS coordinates were kept a complete secret to all except the riders, vets and the Adventurist support teams both before and throughout the ride. The LongRiders, and other concerned horse groups from around the world certainly TRIED to gain access in order to cover or document the ride to no avail especially with the inherent remoteness of the location. The Adventurists were adamant about not wanting ANYONE covering this ride except their own writers and film crew. Certainly the few riders who were able to blog on day three, talked about how many times their horses went down, tripped and fell into marmot holes. (in this blog Katy talks about one of her horses going down and being pinned under him and another being so spent he would only walk with her leading him into the night.) Trips and hazards and being tired on the trail are one thing, running a horse into the ground is another and that was MY main concern. For what has been reported, so far as we know, NONE of the riders did that. It WAS reported by the Adventurists that the front runners had indeed ridden much faster than ever expected on certain legs of the ride. It is THOSE ponies, that I am hoping came out all right and am hoping the riders stories themselves will confirm that. All the riders agree that these are amazing and hardy little horses. This was an adventure of a lifetime for them all, both good and bad. From exploding diarrhea to near fatal falls, awe inspiring landscapes, rich culture, welcoming Mongolians and new found friends, no doubt it was amazing. (I'm sure none of them will want to eat cheese curds or lamb for a while, and it DOES sound like they found out that they should have left the tanning cream at home and brought the Imodium instead) Lets hope that the ponies are all well and are making their way home to share their own adventures with their buddies too. I will be anxiously waiting to read more from the riders themselves and try and get a full picture of how well it all went. It was always the welfare of the horses that counted. The "crow" I may eat is not in the oven yet, but I would be VERY happy to do so and will wash my words down with a cup of airag mares milk and cheers to all for a well organized yet challenging event.
Melissa Margetts
"If you're not livin on the edge, yur takin up too much space!"