[RC] Tick Bites and scabby, crusty thinggies - EnduroGal

All I know about garlic is that my dad takes it daily because he’s heard it has wonderful health benefits, and you can hardly stand to get near him.  One thing’s for sure… neither he nor Jazzi will have to worry about vampires at Twilight.

Got a good equine vet coming out tomorrow morning… I await his diagnosis with interest! (…And hope the treatment works…)

From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Nancy Reed
Sent: Thursday, September 03, 2009 7:35 PM
To: ridecamp
Cc: Tref@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] Tick Bits

My mare, Jazzi is a tick magnet.  Some times I can pull over a hundred off her.  And yes, she gets the crusty, yellow, gribbles too.  She has no other allergies that I am aware of (hate to say that, it is an invitation to be proven wrong!).  I give Jazzi granulated garlic in her beet pulp and the ticks go away and she does not have bites.  To start give 1 teaspoon and work up to 2 tablespoons over several weeks.

I do not use garlic salt, nor do I use ground garlic (it blows away too easily).  I have used granulated garlic from Smart and Final (about $11 per pound) and Springtime "Bug Off Garlic" (http://www.springtimeinc.com/2get1free) all without incident.

I understand that garlic can be hard on the liver and can cause decreased amounts of red blood cells.  I have not had these issues, nor has any of my neighbors horses who are also on Bug Off.

The down side to using garlic is one might become ravenous while feeding garlic spiced beet pulp or one could hallucinate and believe they are in an Italian restaurant   ;>)

I hope this helps and your boy gets better!

Nancy Reed

Lazy J Ranch

Elfin Forest, CA

Were it has been almost 100 now for over a week!