Re: [RC] spooking + screaming - Val Nicoson

I've got a semi-spooky Arab too but so far have been able to ride things out with him.? We're developing a stronger partnership the longer I've had him so that's helping too. He's made me a better rider.?

However, at our first LD event together earlier this year, he sort of flipped out over the ride photographers.? There was one nearby and another out in the open field amongst tall grasses.? The trail led around the field.? I'm told that he was starting to get out of control at the first photographer and I don't know about the second as my horse started flipping out.?

Fortunately I had a death grip -- the photographers caught the action and one asked how in the world I stayed on in particular photo frame -- horse to the left, my body to the right, but I stayed on board!?

I'm now working on riding two-handed more so I don't grip as much as I learn to trust him more and more.?

Meanwhile -- whenever he does major spooks/bolts/etc I am having an automatic scream or yelling coming out.? At the LD event I'm told the more I screamed the more elevated he got.? No, no rear -- but a photo frame got him with both front legs up followed by both rear legs off the ground.? SO any ideas on how I can prevent myself from screaming or yelling?????

I am very talkative with my horses as I ride.? Normally, in all of life's circumstances, I do not have a tendency to yell/scream -- but it seems apparent I do when riding.? Any ideas any one???

Thanks,
Val