Re: [RC] horses bolting - Elizabeth Walker

I may be wrong, but I am going to guess that you might have inadvertently 'cued' the bolt.  Leaning forward can be a cue to 'go forward'.  Given that she was already worried, she may have interpreted your leaning forward for the apple tree as "Yikes - your right ! ... Move it !".

So - perhaps one way to avoid another fright would be to work on teaching her that leaning forward does not necessarily mean "go forward" or "speed up".