[RC] Selenium testing - Beth Leggieri

"Going to the well" and looking for some feedback regarding selenium testing.  Our local clinic is typical in that they typically deal with the pleasure amateur market.

I have been told by our vet that 100-300 is the normal  range for an equine.

One of our horses just tested at 148.  Our vet checked the literature for endurance horses and found that 180-210 is preferred.

I have been told to start our guy with supplementing at 1-2 mg of selenium on a daily basis.  His daily regimen includes a total of 1 pound Ultium, 1/2 pound Enrich 32, and 1 (big) coffee can soaked beet pulp (this total is split into 2 daily feedings).  He has free-fed access to coastal Bermuda (hay, not pasture grass), loose Buckeye Vitamins/Minerals, loose livestock salt, and food-grade diotomaceous earth (mixed in with the loose minerals/vitamins).

Is this protocol for selenium supplementation in line with  the needs of an 11 yo gelding whose base conditioning is now consistent with a 50-mile horse?

I'm not sure what the questions are (what else I should be considering) and surely would appreciate feedback from our seasoned endurance horse keepers  (and any of the vets!) who are conversant with selenium supplementation.  Supplements scare me!

Thanks, Beth

***
Hideaway Farm, Jim & Beth Leggieri, Denton, TX
Athletes of Antiquity: Soaring Wings and Distance Arabians