[RC] [Endurance Riding: News] Australia: Jamie saddles up for a feat ofendurance - Endurance.Net

Southeast Advertiser
24 Aug 09 @ 09:53am by Belinda Seeney

ENDURANCE horseracing takes not only talent and technical skill but plenty of patience.

Hawthorne teen Jamie Green (pictured) is top in his field, taking out the Australian National Endurance Championships (160km Youth) at Imbil in June.

The South-East Advertiser’s YoungStar sports category winner started the race at 3am and finished at 5pm to clinch the title.

Jamie’s endurance riding success has been swift considering he only began riding lessons three years ago.

“One of our neighbours was into it and we bought my first horse off them,” he explained.

“They asked me if I wanted to do an endurance ride with them and I just got hooked.”

The 14-year-old Churchie student said that an average endurance race lasted 10 to 14 hours.

The horses were examined by a veterinarian every 40km.

Mum Denise Green said Jamie spent every weekend and holidays at the family’s Mary Valley property, training and riding his horses.

“Living in Brisbane makes it difficult but his dad helps out by staying at the farm to do extra horse training before major rides, not to mention driving Jamie and his horses to each endurance event,” she said.

Jamie will travel to Victoria in September for the 160km Tom Quilty Gold Cup.

[More ...]

--
Posted By Endurance.Net to Endurance Riding: News at 8/24/2009 03:49:00 PM