[RC] Dian's audit from AERC members forum and random thoughts - oddfarm

Diane, I love, Love, LOVE your comments on the forum about AERC's finances.

When I was a member I read every report, agenda and minutes for meetings and while I am not a bookkeeper, things never seemed right. They couldn't afford to fight a protest but they could spend $50,000 a year to test as opposed to the $10-15,000 they were currently spending. HUH? If you SAY you are going to punish those who cheat, you had better follow through with that. Otherwise, no one takes you seriously anymore. No matter how much you spend.

I still don't understand how using a different lab will keep them from being sued. Really, testing wasn't the whole problem anyway. It was, and still is the lack of consistent enforcement. You can test 'til the cows come home. What good does it do if AERC won't stand up to their own protest? Except of course, when it comes to Jr. riders. NAIL 'EM, BABY!!!

Another number that looked skewed was M. Maul's insistence that the members numbers were increasing, ( I would assume so was revenue) when evidently, that wasn't the case.

One of the comments from a member on the forum was that she was new to the sport and while she tried to contact "board" members, the only people who talked to her were regular members. That was how it was every time I tried to contact the "upper echelon" of AERC. Silence. Except for the time I shared an e-mail because I thought we were ALL sharing. My bad. I will say Connie was always willing to answer questions.

I keep thinking maybe I will rejoin AERC. However, there is no benefit to me. I have done just fine without them, and I still can support the sport, the RM'S and volunteer for trail work locally. Now if a member wins anything, they might have to pay for it. Really? That is not an award, that is a purchase. I got a really cool jacket from SERA for doing all three days at Talladega because they thought I EARNED it, as in we will GIVE it to you for all your hard work. AERC can't afford to do that? Each RM spends their own money to give out cool awards. AERC can't afford that?? That's sad.

Reading the newest comments and how the board passed the higher drug fee because they said it was a unanimous vote by the vets, makes me wonder. Why did the vets think that was so important when it is the vets that see how very few, if any test positive for drugs. I guarantee, the numbers of horses tested will rise very little, if at all. And the number of positive test will be just as few. How is raising the fee going to change anything? I would love for some of the vets on the committee to comment on that. How about putting some money in a legal defense fund instead?

Also interesting is that it was posted on the AERC forum and not ridecamp. Just saying.

I so agree with Patrick that AERC NEEDS term limits. I have always said that. They also need to PAY for legal advice. The free stuff hasn't worked so well. I wouldn't mind paying more for membership because it is really nothing compared to what I pay for each ride. ($300-500 per ride compared to $65 per year for a membership) It is how the money is used, or in some cases NOT used that I have a problem with.

I would rather give the money to RM for putting the ride on than to AERC for keeping track of miles. I can count. Besides, RM's barely break even or lose money on the one thing that is the core of AERC, the rides. What does AERC lose from sanctioning rides? Something is not right.

I believe it was Randy who said it takes at least 10 years to have enough experience to understand how AERC is run.

Yeah, I didn't get that either. Maybe it's just a guy thing :)

I would like to be an AERC member but AERC makes that so difficult to do. Not one person has ever contacted me to find out why I didn't rejoin. No one cared that I was member and no one cares that I'm not. Me either.

I still get to do what I love to do.

Lisa Salas, The Oddf Arm
Ride 'em any way you can.