[RC] Shore to Shore - Herrmann

Hi Everyone:  Now that I am somewhat coherent, I thought I would write a few words about my S2S experience a couple of weeks ago.

IT WAS GREAT!  I had a super time.  Nic and Ticker, Bert and I completed all 7 days of the LD rides.  We did not ride fast (I never do!), but we finished each day with horses that were ready to go again the next day.  In fact, after completing day 7, we threw the horses into their electric corrals.  Bert then rolled over, tore down the fence and galloped off into the sunset, taking Ticker with him.

I would highly recommend the ride to anyone.  The ride manager (Wayne Gastfield) does an extraordinary job of organizing everyone.  He is almost a mind-reader.  He had our ride cards made out for the entire week before we even decided to try to ride all week! :)  Sneaky guy!

The vets (Rae Birr and Brett the vet) were so supportive and helpful.  I had the feeling that they were really trying to help each horse/rider team get through the ride.
The timer (Rae's husband, Bruce) did a fantastic job of keeping track of everyone.  I don't know how he does it, but he is wonderful.  For those of you, who haven't ridden in Michigan, they don't hand out ride cards.  Fine with me, one less thing I have to keep track of.

Andy( the trailer movin' dude) was great.  Each day, our rig showed up in the appropriate spot.  Amazing!  Cheap, too - $25/day plus all the candy we could fit on the dash!

The trails were different each day.  Lots of wooded trail and sand.  The views by the lakes were gorgeous.

The ride taught me a great deal about taking care of my horse.  He also learned to take care of himself.  There is very little water on the trail and the horses learn to drink when there is water!  They also learned to eat like a horse.  I would definitely pack more horse food next year.  Amazing what they can put away, when they work each day!

The big question - would I do it again?  In a heartbeat!!  I can't wait to go back next year.  Would love to try riding 50's each day!

Anyone with any questions, please email and I would be happy to answer, if possible.

Joslyn