[RC] New topic: Why do you like horses? - Sharon Hahn

Why do you like horses?

For me, I really enjoy barn routines and daily care (scoop grain, let everyone in, hose in the water tub, scoop poop and dole out hay while water is filling, open the gates - it's like a precision dance).  The riding is not really a big part of it like it is for some people.  I enjoy taking care of sick or injured horses.  I also like to do basic Horse Manners 101 training like teaching horses to pick up their feet nicely or load into a trailer.  I like the stillness of the 5 minutes before pulses are taken at a CT ride.  These things are orderly, quiet and soothing, yet the horses themselves keep it interesting and not boring like some other chores are (emptying the dishwasher, anyone?)

I also wonder exactly what it is about horses that makes them appeal to people that are, shall we say, a bit odd socially speaking. Or is it that spending a lot of time around horses MAKES you weird?  A (horse-owning) friend of mine is fond of saying that 60% of horse people are a bit "off"- frankly, that seems low to me.
Also, do you think endurance people like horses for the same reasons as people who show at halter or do dressage?  Or do different disciplines tend to draw people who like horses for different reasons?

--
Be Yourself @ mail.com
Choose From 200+ Email Addresses