[RC] Pucker Point - paul

Good Story Melissa,

In 2007, I was a little nervous about Pucker Point. The way it was described to
me was a 12 inch wide trail with a sheer drop off of 1,000 on one side and
about 800 feet on the other side. I don't really have a fear of heights, but
flying while not in a plane makes me nervous.

On that stretch of trail there was a small group, (three)`of us zooming along
at a brisk trot. One of the riders was a local and said she had ridden every
mile of the trail previously while training. At one point, there was this
really pretty view, with a creek/river down below, and I was trying to fish my
pocket camera/video camera out to take scenic shots.  (By the way, I ride Piper
with no bit or hackamore on this kind of ride. He goes just fine in a regular
nylon halter.)  So after we got through this really pretty area, and the
terrain smoothed out again i called out to the local  rider and asked her if we
were getting close to Pucker Point, becaue I was little nervous about it. ? She
replied that about a mile back when i was wallering around and leaning trying
to get good photos, was Pucker Point.

I also was worried about the canyons. The triple diget heat. The steep
elevation changes, All of these were on my worry list.  Imagine my  surprise
when they turned out to be no worse tha the Ozark trails we use everyday.
Sometimes we fear demons that turn out to be not so scary once we confront
them.

As for the other topic of the pens start and unfairness etc:  We started in Pen
two of three pens.  I  fussed about it, as I was afraid of getting caught in
traffic. But after the first stretch of single track we hit that long hill
gravel road going up to the first trot by. some people were already off
walking, while most walked their horses  up that hill. We rolled along in a
nice trot and got some room when we left that check. Several times during the
ride, we would get caught behind slower horses. sometimes the rider would yield
trail, sometimes the rider would speed up at places you could pass, and then
slow down again when they hit single track.  so we just would wait until we hit
passing ground and go as fast as it took to get past. When you put nearly 200
horses on one trail this stuff will happen. You just deal with it and plan for
it. You don't snivel.

I would agree with Bruce Weary AKA Dr Q. This is a ride to test and challenge
you. Less than 1/2 of the riders will get to Auburn in 24 hours. Less than 20%
of those who try it will succeed on their first attempt.  Embrace the
challenge. There is probably nothing that feels as bad as trying Tevis and not
completing the 100 miles, but there is probably nothing you and your horse will
ever do that feels as satisfying  as taking that short victory lap around the
Auburn Fairgrounds. You will never look at your horse the same way again. When
you hear somebody say the Tevis trail is dusty, you will grin, nod your head,
and say, " Yep, It was a mite dusty in spots".

Paul N. Sidio
KMA Chazz Piper (Tevis Completion 2007)
General Lee (Tevis Completion 20??)
Spokane MO