[RC] Comments on the complaints about Tevis - marshall Bates

Let me preface this by stating that I have not been to the Tevis nor have I managed an AERC ride, but I have talked extensively with crews and riders, worked with management at many rides and have managed rides in another distance venue and ridden many rides all over the country.
Ride management has enough headaches and expenses without having to put up with microchips and tiny variations in starting times- that would be a timing nightmare all through the ride.
I have never been to a ride where all riders are able to cross the start line at the same time so where are the complaints from all the other rides?.
Backups on the trail? They happen at all rides with any narrow trail.
Long walks to the crew trailer from the P&R point? Again- happens at every ride.
Empty water troughs? Again, happens at many rides, sometimes because of lack of volunteers to haul the water (HINT HINT- have you thought of supplying a volunteer to help with any of the chores), sometimes because the water truck can't get through the traffic jam caused by crews that end up blocking the access, and numerous other reasons.
Perhaps leaving the first 2 vet checks open a bit longer would be a reasonable thing to do.Bring it up to the WSTR people in a positive manner.
I would encourage everyone to get involved with managing a ride and seeing how much work and thought go into the job. Don't complain until you've stepped into the shoes of ride management.
I praise the management of this ride for the tremendous job they do and to all the riders that enter.
Marsh the muleman (dreaming of trying the Tevis.