[RC] Treed/Treeless "Controversy" - Michelle Aquilino

Goodness me, there is a ton of contradicting information online!? Noticing one small rub spot on the back left side of my horse's withers, has got me thinking about saddles.? I love treeless, because I can feel every movement of my horse's back.? But even as a featherweight rider, everything online has got me worried about weight distribution, pressure on the horse's spine and spinal nerves, etc.? Maybe, irregardless of whether this rub is being caused from the saddle, the pad, or an effect of her current hoofcare influencing her gait, etc, I should still consider switching to a treed saddle.? Agh me.? Though I am thinking that if it IS the saddle, it's from her losing weight and getting more fit and doing more miles, so her withers are being more exposed.? And thus, the problem is permanent (unless she becomes a field potato again!).
?
And whichever way I go, if I ever get a new saddle, how the heck do you find the right one?? With such a high number of different "quality" saddle makers, can you possibly "try" them all?? And even if you try them a couple times, how can you know so quickly whether it's the "best" for your horse?? And wouldn't it take an exorbitant amount of time to take all the different saddles "on trial"?
?
And then they're saying to have the tree refit every year, if necessary.? Does every treed saddle allow refitting?? I? know that the SR saddles can be refit, but it doesn't seem as readily advertised everywhere else.? But then saddles like the SR are SO expensive.? Is my horse one of those horses that has an "easy-to-fit" back, so I don't have to spend that much money to get a custom fit saddle?
?
Anyway, golly me am I feeling a tad bit overwhelmed, lol.? Because even though at this point I prefer the english style of my ansur (which would cut down the options a ton), I can't help but feel open to the possibility that an endurance style saddle that is fit well to my horse AND myself might end up being comfortable for me as well.? I don't feel like I have ANYthing to cut down the options, ha ha.? I mean, there is definitely cost!? But what price do I put my horse's long-term comfort at?
Anyway, I don't want to start a treed/treeless debate (please!).? I suppose I am hoping for some words of wisdom as far as how you pick / find the right saddle.? Or if something I said sparks a recommendation for a particular saddle, that is fine too.? I just want my horse to be happy and comfortable in the long run, and for me to feel well balanced and comfortable in the saddle...? Oh, and I'm also really tiny, so really am enjoying my 9ish pound ansur (or however little it is, lol), I'd like to keep the lightweight feature if at all possible :-/
?
I kind of look forward to the tevis saddle use report, just as a means of seeing the more popular brands used on successful 100-mile horses =)
?
-Michelle

--
"Don't breed or buy while shelter animals die"