Re: [RC] Interference & Forging - marshall Bates

In talking with several people at the shore to shore ride last week it was b rought up that interference can be caused by riding in narrow deep single tracks. These ruts will cause the horse to travel in a narrower stance. Makes sense to me
Marsh the muleman

--- On Mon, 8/10/09, Michelle Aquilino <michelle.antoinette@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

From: Michelle Aquilino <michelle.antoinette@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [RC] Interference & Forging
To: "steelsidedown" <steelsidedown@xxxxxxxxx>, vickie5364@xxxxxxx, "Kathy Mayeda" <klmayeda@xxxxxxxxx>, "ridecamp" <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Monday, August 10, 2009, 10:54 AM

Jen – You just said the opposite of what my farrier said =P I called him this morning, he said that interference is usually caused by something higher up than the foot =P  Don also told me to check this balance, and sent a link explaining the lateral balance checking the t-square.  I will look at this next time I am at the barn…  Or try to anyway!  Cheyenne is only 8 ½, so hopefully still early enough to fix things!  Especially since she has only been having these problems for about a month and a half.

Vickie – My horse is currently doing BOTH interference and forging.  Of course, I am assuming that it is still interference even if it is not constant, and even just occasionally on a trail ride.  She started with some stumbling, then forging, then interfering.  And yes, I am wanting to get her checked for EPM and Lyme if her feet seem fine, as people have been telling me to do, but am hoping that it is a shoeing/trimming issue :-/  This last weekend was the first time her forging extended to one of her front bulbs (just the right one it seems).  Knowing my horse and her fitness level and conformation, I don’t think it is conformation or fatigue…

Kathy – My horse has already done 3 LDs this year, and is fit enough for a 50 I believe.  Her forging and interference does not “seem” to be associated with how long we’ve been riding and fatigue…  The first ride we did this weekend was easy, relatively slow, great dirt footing, it would be a stretch to say she was tired enough at the end to have that be the cause for her interference ;-)  Your response about the forging supports my notion that at least THAT part of the problem can be fixed with trimming/shoeing techniques.  She has never forged before, and her forging does not seem to be a factor of the extension of her trot.  Seems rather random at times…

Ok all, sorry that was so long, but thanks for everyone’s help!  =)  Hopefully this is an easy fix.  Definitely hoping it’s a shoe/trim problem…

-Michelle

--
"Don't breed or buy while shelter animals die"