[RC] saddles - Dawn Simas

I agree with Naomi.  :)

I have a comment on how a custom saddle was improved upon in my case.  I paid $2700 for a saddle to be made to fit my Paint that was my Tevis horse.  We didn't just use a wither tracing either, we used photos and a guage for a complete accurate reproduction of his back.  Then in addition to that, he was built "downhill" so the maker also built a rise in the front so that *I* sat level in the saddle.  You have to take the top of the saddle into consideration too, that you are riding level and balanced.

I did 50's in this saddle, he always got A's and never a sore back.  However, one day I tried out a Wade tree factory made Western cowboy saddle.  The difference was that the tree is flared in the front and reaches up and over the shoulder, rather than the forward edge being in the groove behind the shoulder.  My horse flew.  He added an easy 3 mph to his gait and flew downhills.  Did a 70 miler and he could have gone on.  I have used that saddle ever since.  Cowboys designed in generations ago because of it's ability to fit a variety of backs in their remudas.

So, the other thing I have learned:  Amigo had learned to change his way of going in order to *avoid* any pain of the front edge of the saddle pressing into his wide shoulders.  Hence, never a sore back.  It didn't matter that it fit him perfectly, the horse is *dynamic*, the saddle is *static*.   So, when the saddle freed him up in the shoulders, he was much more comfortable and used his natural gait.

:)  Dawn