[RC] Tevis & Saddles... - Naomi Preston

I didn't ride Tevis this year, but have in years' past....my mare had 4 starts, 4 completions, with 2 top fives.  So I'll throw my two cents in.

The best saddle is the one that fits your horse, no matter if it's cheap, expensive, synthetic, leather, treeless, treed, english, western, australian or chinese.  The best pad is the one that works for your horse and your saddle.  Every horse's back is different, and that's where the quest begins.....to find the saddle that fits YOUR horse.

I've ridden in lots of different saddles.  When I started endurance riding, I knew nothing about saddle fit.  My mare's back got extremely sore from my first saddle, and then I started learning.  Am still learning.

As far as who rode what saddles at the Tevis this year, I know Marcia Smith rides an SR, and I know Melissa and Robert Ribley own them, but don't know what she rode this year.  Bruce, did you ride your SR?  The thing about the SR is that they're made for your particular horse's back.  So they're guaranteed to fit.  But that doesn't mean that there aren't other saddles out there that fit horses.  There are.  But I bought my SR 20 years ago, and it's still working for me, now refitted to my mare's daughter.  Pretty good return on investment.
As far as pads, I prefer Skito.  But there are other good pads, too, like Equipedic.

My advice -- find someone who knows about saddle fit, and have them help you fit a saddle to your horse.  It's a whole lot easier than soring up a horse, like I did.

Naomi