[RC] The Gifts of Tevis - Bruce Weary DC

As I begin these last comments about our Tevis experience this year, I want to collectively thank all of you
who have called and emailed and "snail mailed" your good wishes and congratulations. We have heard from all around the country, Canada
and Australia, in numbers too great to respond to individually, and I apologize for that. Though John Henry as a Tennessee Walker
offers some fascination for people, I hope all the other riders who either finished or bravely attempted the Tevis receive
the recognition they deserve, as well. For those who didn't make it this time, keep on trying. It worked for us.:)
For those who did finish, I can relate to how your lives must feel changed now.
We poured our heart and soul into preparing for this ride, and proved once again the truth
of the old adage that, "You get out of life what you put into it." We gave hundreds of hours of work toward
horse and human conditioning, drove thousands of miles, lost countless nights of sleep, and struggled with thoughts
of doubt and fear of possible impending failure.
The gifts received in return include: A level if fitness I haven't experienced since my youth, if ever. A very fit horse
that showed he could tackle the Sierras, not finish last, and have a little extra left in the tank. A feeling of conquest
over doubt and fear, and, nights of restful sleep.Not to mention a whole slew of new friends. Fifteen years ago,
I attempted my first Tevis, and though my horse did well, I became ill and couldn't finish.
Five more attempts brought further disappointment, as we failed to reach the finish line.
But those failures drove me on to better methods of preparation, rather than quitting, as some people
so often choose, and that's a shame. If we set any example through all of this, it should be that, though finishing
was very sweet, growth is in the striving, and preparing for and riding the Tevis trail is one of the most challenging and rewarding things
one can do in this life, on horseback or otherwise.
I remember reading a story a long time ago, about an old circus lion who is accidentally freed from his transport
wagon while the circus is traveling through the countryside to the town of its next performance. The lion, well past his prime,
weakened and stiffened by the ravages of time, and out of his element, seeks shelter in a nearby forest. Soon, a dozen wolves that
inhabit the area learn of his presence, and, with their superior numbers, see the lion as an easy evening meal. As they circle and
attack, the lion feels the years peel away in his muscles, his bones, and his heart. The stiffness in his arthritic
back melts away, and the power returns to his loins and paws. He is renewed, and gallantly defends himself, reveling in each
slash of his claws, each snap of his jaws, each leap of retreat and attack. When the last wolf is dispatched, the lion
rediscovers that enduring symbol of his youth--his kingly roar. With that, he lies down one last time for his final rest. When he is
finally found by the circus owners, the scene clearly tells the tale of what had happened.
The point of this story is that all lions, even old ones, like to roar. If you are even
remotely interested in doing it, I encourage you to try. Whether you are young or a little
longer in the tooth, riding the Tevis will rejuvenate you, and change you in ways not found in common life.

John Henry and I did not, and could not, have done this alone. Our support group reaches far and wide.
Without question, the person who gave the most toward our success was my wife, Dayna. She is phenomenal person,
wife, friend, crew person, and horsewoman. She will be riding Tevis next year, as she has some well
deserved "roaring" to catch up on. We hope to see you all there again next year. Thanks again, Bruce Weary