[RC] And now for something completely different... - Maryanne Gabbani

I was recently contacted by a young neighbour who has been looking for a nice sane horse here in Egypt.? That is not an easy task, to say the least. Many of my sane horses have grown up with me, and many others have been one owner horses who have been gifted to me to avoid the possibility that the horses might end up in a pyramids stable...I don't sell horses.

Laura got the idea that perhaps it would be worthwhile to try to find a sound, sane horse in either North America or Europe. She's not looking for a winning endurance horse (there's no real endurance here anyway) but for a sound sane mare or gelding. I can see a lot of issues with this course of action, the hassles of importation being just the start, but on the other hand, the way that most horses are raised here does tend to lend itself to some pretty crazed animals. In June Laura and a friend of hers invited a trainer here to do a clinic on ground work and he was fairly stunned by the level of aggression and fear in many of our local horses.

Anyway, I thought that I'd ask RC about ideas about horsebuying. I don't think that there are any guarantees on horses in the US and Europe...and I suspect that buying even a noncompeting horse is not that cheap. What do you all think?

Maryanne Stroud Gabbani
msgabbani@xxxxxxxxx

Egypt Face to Face
www.alsorat.com