[RC] western saddles - Dawn Simas

I used to ride a Syd Hill aussie for almost 20 years, but it was too narrow for my Paint.  I rode him in a Wade Tree buckaroo saddle in endurance.  It fits him best of any saddle, and they are built for cowboys who ride long days.  It also has the short round skirts.  I like having the horn to hang my bridle on at vet checks.  And to loop the reins over when I dismount so they don't drop up his neck when he puts his head down.  He did American River 70 and got straight A's, my Cougar Rock photo has the buckaroo saddle, looks like the old Charlie Barieau photos if it weren't in color.  ;-)

Wades in particular are designed to fit a wide variety of horses.  Since cowboys often have a remuda of horses to ride.  The tree flares in the front.  So it either is wide enough for big broad QH shoulders, or it settles nicely into the groove behind the shoulder on a slender horse.  It fit both my wide Paint and also a slab sided hard keeper ranch horse with high withers.  Now it's on my BLM mustang, who's built very narrow.

I use a Zilco breast collar.  And an Equipedic or Supracor pad, both in Barrel Racer style, they fit this saddle.  Full western cuts are too big.  Use whatever fits!

Dawn