[RC] on our way to Ft. Meade - Marlene Moss

Quick update!  I'm taking the overwhelming advice from this list and taking
my young arab/QH gelding to Ft. Meade.  Please cross your fingers and
everything else for us!  A little more info on this guy:

I got him at the beginning of the year from a guy whose wife told him he
could never ride Cimarron again because he was too dangerous.  He was
difficult to catch, kicked at us and ran us over. His buddy came in the
package, a late20's horse that was half starved because they didn't realized
horses needed their teeth done.  Buddy has new owners, has gained weight and
still lives in our barn on an entirely soft diet.

I had heard horror stories about Cimarron and his difficulties from 2 owners
and a lady that had watched him through both owners. She'd tried to get
Bobbi Richine to buy him because she thought he had endurance potential, but
he didn't come with papers.  We were also told there was no way we'd get him
in a trailer w/o a difficult fight.  In fact the owners went in the house
they were so afraid of how loading would go.  Well, we're good at loading -
it took less than 30 seconds.  You put the old guy in first and, huh,
Cimarron walked right in!

Once at home, we worked on bullying for leading and I started him in the
round pen with a bosal.  He was very sensitive and smart.  Just a tendency
to buck.  Oh yeah, and once I got him on the trail, to rear, kick, spook and
bolt.  So we went very slow and got stuck for a while because he fed off
other horses nerves, so learned traffic was scary and all the aforementioned
problems happened when walking.  So finally took him on rides with hubby
rather than the nervous boarders and got over most everything except the
bucking.

The kicking remained an issue for touching the hind feet, but we finally
were able trim his hinds, carefully.  Giving pencillin once, and taking
temps was a nightmare - had to use the stocks.  Previous owners had roped
him and tied his legs up for hoof trimming!

So last Monday, we took him to the vet and he got anxious in the trailer and
managed to squish me in an attempt to get out and I separated a rib.  Yeah!
But not too bad, hasn't affected my core strength, but it still gets worse
every day as those injuries tend to do for a bit.  Then out for a
conditioning ride since I think my estimate of 15 miles per week was closer
to 10.  He did great til we did a mock vet check and he tried to kick Stace
checking muscle tone!  So 3 times a day of practicing vet checks - I'll be
taking treats to the vet checks just in case - but he's doing well and I've
had lots of people come help.

We still have bucking at the canter, but it's well balanced so I don't lose
my seat!  Last night I taught him to trot in hand.  He is smart, so any time
I teach him something it doesn't take long and does seem to stick!

So other than a big warning to the vets and being prepared for the odd bucks
and going slow (ugh, hate that!), I think we're ready.  Oh yeah, camping.
Huh, this should be interesting!

See ya there, I'll give a report after the fact, should I live!
Marlene

Marlene Moss
www.LosPinos-CO.com - boarding, training, sales
www.KineticEquineAnalysis.com - saddlefit for the horse in motion