Re: [RC] help horses - D'Arcy Demianoff-Thompson

Although everyone's heart is in the right place regarding this situation.  I do agree with Diane about the verifiability and certification of signatures being an affective means to an end.  Does it raise awareness...absolutely!  However, the best way to heighten awareness, as Diane has suggested, is to reach the greater mass audience by 'written' communication.  If you only have time to write online...go to your Senator and HR person, in Washington, and send an electronic email outlining your concerns.  Believe me, Barbara Boxer, and Diane Feinstein hear from me on a regular basis!   The good news about that is that I do get a response.  If not from them personally then from one of their assistants.  I follow their voting on the floor of congress and know IF there is a heightened awareness or not.

The same process can be implemented to local authorities.  This is one of the ways that a horse breeder, in TN, was finally able to be convicted for the horrific conditions she subjected her arabian herd to.  Not to mention a few hundered dogs!   Send your letters to the Circuit Judge for the area that is in question.  If that judge is not hearing the case he/she will forward it onto one who will be hearing the case.  In a matter that requires local jurisdiction, as Diane stated, a petition signed by an out of state resident, will hold little to no impact on that official.  Bombarding their office with MAIL with a cc to the local newspaper editor - absolutely gets their attention!   Why?  Because the news agency most generally will follow the actions of local government.   Especially if it is an election year and the outgoing officials have fallen on disfavor.  It's worth a try!

Point being, we can all make a significant difference, no matter how large or how small, in the lives of all horses,  by putting pen to paper and adding a stamp!

Thank you for listening.

--
D'Arcy L. Demianoff-Thompson
cest.mon.virage@xxxxxxxxx