Re: [RC] Strangles in SE region - Angie Fura

I just learned that Strangles is caused by a bacteria, not a virus.  Perhaps that has an effect on how well the vaccine does it job?

Angie Fura

www.tracetribute.com

From: Maryanne Gabbani <msgabbani@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "rides2far@xxxxxxxx" <rides2far@xxxxxxxx>; Ridecamp <Ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, January 16, 2009 12:13:54 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] Strangles in SE region

Maybe one of our resident vets could correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding of the vaccines for viruses is that they lessen the symptoms of the disease but they don't prevent it. If that is the case, then one really must question the logic since once a horse is vaccinated, while it may not get that sick, it is perfectly capable of infecting others while not showing the signs of illness.

We don't have strangles vaccine and it is, for the most part, simply considered a normal equine childhood disease. But at least we are very sure who has it.

Maryanne Stroud Gabbani
msgabbani@xxxxxxxxx

Egypt Face to Face
www.alsorat.com
Weblogs:
Living In Egypt
miloflamingo.blogspot.com
Cairo/Giza Daily Photo
cairogizadailyphoto.blogspot.com
Turn Right At The Sarcophagus
haramlik.blogspot.com
Da Moose Is Loose (a blog for kids)
mstroud.blogspot.com
Photos of Egypt:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/livinginegypt/

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 7:57 PM, rides2far@xxxxxxxx <rides2far@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>>Angie - I rode with Cade and Josie at Skymont so I called my vet.

Angie, the incubation period is 3-12 days. 14 days after Skymont Cade finished the 50 at Hahira in 7th place with a 44 pulse. I feel pretty confident he had not been exposed yet when he got there. For all we know a vet may have had some residual spores on their truck and handled it just before checking Cade's gums or something like that. There's just no way to know but the math doesn't add up for him to have had it or gotten it at Skymont.

P.S. Jody says 7 didn't get it because he wouldn't let the vets check his damned gums!

Angie McGhee