[RC] racer snakes - Ann Blankenship

We have racers in the California foothills.  They are really interesting snakes.  Our first encounter with them:  husband and I were clearing our property to build our house when we saw a snake.  The snake took off FAST and, being interested in snakes, I followed it. They don’t call these things Racers for nothin’.   After zooming away from us for about 30 feet, the snake turned around and came back toward us at full speed!  Yikes!  It came straight toward us and a Douglas fir with low hanging branches.  While we watched with our mouths hanging open, the snake leaped (I am not kidding!) onto the lowest branch, and then leaped from branch to branch until it was about 8 feet up in that tree.  I’ve never seen anything like it.  Honestly, it didn’t slither up the tree, it jumped!

ann