Sent: Monday, January 12, 2009 9:31 AM
Subject: [RC] Hay feeding solutions

Ridecampers:

Since hay has become about as expensive as gold, I am looking for ways to waste less of it.
Specifically, since lecturing has done no good, how do I get my horses to stop throwing all the hay out of the feeder and tromping it into the mud???

I'm feeding a bale each into two 6' round galvanized tanks, spaced well apart.  Since I don't live on my property, I only feed once a day and need to make sure that they have enough to free feed for 24 or more hours.  I was thinking about some kind of a net over the top, but I have one horse who will climb into the feeder so can't take the chance of her getting tangled.  I know a wooden top with holes in it is an idea, but am afraid of how heavy and awkward it would be to fit onto that big of a feeder.

Please, does anyone have any great ideas?

mel