[RC] Mongolian Flaming Hot Topic - Melissa Margetts

First of all, I am NOBODY. I do not have the power nor influence to stop or change the way this ride is overseen. Mine is but ONE voice. It would probably take thousands of voices from people who feel the same as I do to make "The Adventurists" organization even re-think their support system for this race.The Adventurist don't need or WANT the approval or input from AERC or it's members anyway. I believe that the reason ridecamp has been so full of heated debate from all sides is that we all belong to the AERC and our organization has been asked by other horse groups to look at all aspects of this race and either give our support or make efforts to stop it or at least voice our suggestions for changes to it. The president of our AERC organization has already made a statement that this ride NOT be run as is. As I said from the start, I am new to this sport and much of what I have learned about the care of horses in endurance and long distance riding has come directly from this organization and the suggestions of mentors, vets and those here on ridecamp. I DO believe that the criteria and requirements that have been put in place by our organization is there for a reason and not just whimsical numbers pulled out of a hat by inexperienced people. From the time Wendle Robie made the wager that started the Tevis cup and launched competitive distance riding, there ensued a debate on the welfare of the horse. DEBATE IS GOOD and has resulted in well thought out and acceptable standards that we as members of AERC now feel that we MUST adhere to as endurance riders and ambassadors of the sport. The Tevis ride has now become the world wide STANDARD for how to safely run an extreme long distance endurance ride and is looked up to and envied around the world. NOW there is great debate on how much oversite and care needs to be in place in this NEW extreme race in Mongolia. We as members of the AERC organization apparently BELIEVE in the logic and responsibility of having acceptable requirements that address the needs and care of the horse or we wouldn't be members. Over the years since Tevis first started the ball rolling, because of increased research and experience with horse physiology, the requirements and criteria that organizations such as ours have in place, have changed, become stricter and leaned heavily toward the care of the horses on these rides to compensate for the mistakes that their RIDERS might make. In order to ride the Tevis cup, you have to have already completed 350 documented competitive miles and so has the horse, before your application is ever accepted. The horse is continually monitored at short intervals throughout the race. If a horses heart rate does not drop and stiffness of gait is observed among Soo many other things, your horse is pulled from the race. The article in this months Endurance News by Susan Garlinghouse talks of still raising the criteria bar some more. Just because this Mongolian race is to take place in a foreign country does NOT mean that we as members of an endurance group that has standards, should suddenly feel that those standards are NOT worthy or necessary anymore. It would seem odd to me that when our opinion is sought by other horse groups concerning the safety of this race and acceptable risks, that we would have a double standard and say, "Gee we wouldn't allow it or sanction it here, but what the hell, we don't REALLY care how they do it there". We should care. We are ambassadors of a sport where we are claiming to care for the welfare of the horse in endurance races anywhere in the world. One major concern is still that if something goes terribly wrong and this DOES get world wide attention, it COULD indeed affect our own rides here.Why NOT voice our opinion that we think the horses in this ride need to have better and guaranteed care and a real support team in place and the riders needing to have documented miles to qualify? I needed to have AERC send a document to the Quilty that I had completed 100s before they accepted my application and why not? What did it hurt? Nothing. What did it help? It proved that I at least had SOME experience at riding endurance, pacing and the ability to complete and take care of my horse. Not a guarantee, but at least a step in the right direction in regards to a 100 mile ride. Should less really be asked for a 1,000 km ride? I truly AM sorry if I got out of line in any way in this heated debate. The opinions of so many people on this forum have helped (I hope) to make me a better rider and Kats opinion is one that I respect most all of the time. Kat put on the Main Divide 100 which was my first 100 miler. It proved to be as tough if not tougher than the Tevis, just ask the winner Kim Fuess who has finished Tevis several times yet still deemed Kats ride the CSMF of all time. (use your imagination). Kat indeed is tough and her opinion on how this Mongol ride will be as easy for the horses as a ride through Kansas with a guarantee that no riders will ride their horses into the ground, may indeed be right on the money and I hope, with my heart in my throat, that that's the case.When the Tevis was first run it was untried and still proved to be a success, and based on the criteria that Western States Trail put into place, Dr. Dave Richardson (Duck) put forth a new idea for XP rides but he still used the same basic criteria for horse care. Those XP rides were untried too but proved to be a success.This Mongol race is also"untried" but if it follows that same basic criteria we have come to expect and respect, then maybe it too will prove to be a success. And only the outcome will tell us how wisely it was run.I feel that it is best to try new territory with MORE caution and fore site than less, to assure the success of the outcome. I am an adventurer myself and if this race does end up being a great and well run race with all the necessary support in place to prevent undo distress or injury to the horses, then you bet it will the next difficult ride on my list to attempt to do. It is great to see this sport grow and branch out but in a responsible way. If our organization is asked to sanction this ride and deem the oversite acceptable, I don't think that the way the ride is ride now, that our approval is wise. If we as a group, feel that changes have been made that would make the outcome a more assured success and safer for the horses, you can count my voice being one in favor of it. Till then, I'm willing to hold out and voice my opinion and sign any petition till I see those changes have been made. And again, my heart felt apologies if the wording of my opinion came off as self righteous or arrogant. I did not mean it to be. I appreciate this type of forum to share opinions that can illicit change that is hopefully for the better. I am usually "lurking" and absorbing everyone else's thought here and every now and then I get my panties in a bunch or a burr under my saddle and speak up. Maybe TOO strongly this time. Still, I will sign the petition and watch the race take place anyway, as it probably will. I truly do HOPE for the best outcome and that all 800 ponies make it out healthy and not worse-for-the-wear.
Melissa Margetts