RE: [RC] Racking horses for endurance? - Peter Harper

Phil,  I have been riding gaited horses in AERC endurance for the past five years.  Here are my observations.

Regards, Pete

From: Sue & Phil Gardner [mailto:slsf@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 1:46 PM
To: 'Patricia Clark'
Subject: RE: [RC] Racking horses for endurance?

Thanks for replying to my post.  I recently purchased a gaited Standard
gelding.  He is the first non Arabian I have ever owned.  The reasons for
getting him were twofold; 1- to have a horse that could travel with my
wife's MFT and 2- to have an easier gait for my comfort.

He does what I would term a stepping pace and only goes into a true rack at
higher speeds.  He also trots and canters though his go to gait is a
stepping pace.  He is just now coming into condition and I am just starting
to ask him to maintain gait for some distance.  I have ridden him 25+ miles
in training and hope to take him on an LD on the 11th

PH: Stepping pace is a very common gait.  It can be very comfortable and the horse is capable of maintaining it for long distances.  I have two 50 mile horses that use the stepping pace as their preferred endurance gait.

There are several things I am wondering about.  What are the P&R's compared
to an Arab?  Is the energy expended to maintain a gait the same as a horse
trotting at the same speed?

PH:  On a well conditioned gaited horse the P&R's are comparable to the average Arab.  I have pulsed down faster than some Arabs not as fast as others.  The only exception would be in extreme heat where we take a little longer.  In cool weather there is no notable difference.

How do their legs hold up long term for endurance work?  Is the stress placed on the joints, ligaments & tendons greater than a trotting horse experiences?  The thing that makes me wonder is that a trotting horse has two feel landing at the same instant, thus the
shock spread to both legs.  A gaited horse has a four beat gait where only
one foot is landing at a time.

PH: Based on ride results I would say gaited horses are very well suited to endurance work and seem to excel at multi-day rides high mileage.  Two of the Top 3 National Mileage horses last year were gaited horses.  #2 Oliver Twist is a TWH/Standardbred cross gelding and #3 Bubba G is a Spotted Saddle Horse.  Oliver Twist was also the only Gold Medal Horse last season finishing all the XP-Rides.    Bubba G was the #3 horse in 2007 and Oliver Twist currently #8.
Another great example of gaited horse ruggedness is Remington a gaited Icelandic gelding and has over 10,000 AERC endurance miles.

I love ridding this horse.  I have been ridding all my life and have just
discovered these horses.  I have become fascinated by horses like EZD Falcon
Rowdy.  It is reported that he is recorded on film hitting 51, yes fifty
one, miles an hour is a short burst of speed!

PH: 51 mph!  Someone is pulling your leg here.  I think the fasted a racking horse has been clocked is about half that speed.  A Thoroughbred hits just over 40mph.

Phil Gardner