[RC] Mongol Derby - Bruce Weary DC

I suppose we can assure ourselves of almost anything, regarding assumptions that things "probably" won't go wrong
at the Mongol Derby. But, endurance riding is our bailiwick, and it behooves us to at least express concern, if not protest,
over the very substantial potential for disaster to strike, especially in light of our own history, which has shown what can happen
when a competitive but relatively inexperienced mind steers a horse (or horses) aggressively toward a coveted prize (money,etc.)

Those who have significant years and miles in endurance riding can easily imagine what can happen. Those who don't, may not.
If there are no disasters, it still isn't proof that it was conducted as a safe endeavor. Horses quite often survive in spite of our plans and actions,
rather than because of them. That is often to their credit, not ours.

I do think horses that may be undernourished, possibly unshod(?), carrying disproportionate weight, raced at speed (not paced at 8-9 mph)
possibly very hairy, denied food and water before they work, possibly unwormed, by riders inexperienced in endurance riding, etc.,
should at least stimulate our imaginations to the possibility of negative outcomes. Any such ride put on here in the States would not only
be poorly attended, but undoubtedly protested and certainly not sanctioned by AERC.

We shall see. Bruce Weary