Re: [RC] Thinking of Switching To Boots? Read This First - Truman Prevatt

The problem I have always had with boots was the products on the market would have made Rube Goldberg proud. They were heavy, them impacted the natural over of the horse, they were a pain in the butt to put, they were a pain in the butt to take off, however they came off on their own quite easily, they were very poor in muddy conditions, etc, the list could go on for hours.

I've also been riding a horse for the past 15 years who has feet that boots don't fit well and he is doing quite well in shoes  - thank you very much. However, we have to young ones we would rather not shoe because we are not currently riding them that much but on some places we ride we need shoes or some protection. When we start riding them more then they will most likely be shod.

The only thing I think now that makes trying boots on these two horses more attractive than in the past is there has been a lot of progress as of late. The Easyboot glove seems to be a major step forward. They are relatively light weight - probably no heavier than a steel eventer. They seem to fit snug so they should not impact the natural break over to a great extent. I've done the "fitting" and have order the boots so we ill see soon, how well they stay on, how well they work in mud, wet grass, etc. But at least not there might be some hope for boots.

All that being said for irregular shaped feet there doesn't seem to be a good answer out there as far as I can see.

Here's hoping the Easyboot gloves will work.

Truman

Kevin Myers wrote:

We’re now seven weeks into the transition and it seems like a good time to pause and review the high points of moving from steel shoes to Easyboots. In this short amount of time, our four horses are all barefoot, our boarder’s horse is now barefoot and many of our friends and neighbors are barefoot or are just about to make the move. My horses’ feet look healthier for it – I like the way the hoof is growing, the way angles are changing and the way they move.

I have been watching barefoot riders for several years; always thinking I would never be one of them; always thinking the transition would require more of me than I was willing to offer. The points listed below are based on my limited experience and may help make the prospect your transition more palatable.

Read the full story is here.

Kevin Myers (baking in southern Arizona)

--
“I maintain there is much more wonder in science than in pseudoscience

“I maintain there is much more wonder in science than in pseudoscience. And in addition, to whatever measure this term has any meaning, science has the additional virtue, and it is not an inconsiderable one, of being true.” Carl Sagan