Re: [RC] "mongol " derby - rides2far@xxxxxxxx

I think I didn't make it clear that it was information that I gleaned from
our exchange student

Actually I have what he described somewhere around here on VHS tape. Taped it
off maybe a National Geographic? program years ago. I thought I posted this
this morning but never saw it so maybe it disappeared. Anyway, It shows the
tribes coming together, how proud they are of their "horses" (which were well
below 13 hands that I saw) and each tribe had small children riding as jockeys.
It mentioned the witholding of water the day before. If I recall correctly they
took them away from the camp and raced back to it. Don't recall exactly but for
some reason seems like it was 25 miles. The kids were just hanging on and
whacking them with a switch. There were LOTS of ponies just spread out across
the plain, maybe 50-100. After the race is over they showed little kids crying
while front end loaders scooped up their dead ponies off the course and put
them in a dumpster. The narrater explained it away as "part of their heritage"
which I think would probably have been just as applicable to the rednecks at
Catoosa.  I can't picture a dressage rider from UK doing anything that
resembled what that race looked like. Actually, I can't picture a dressage
rider from the UK that's probably used to a big fat Warmblood even balancing on
one of those narrow backed 12 hand ponies.

Angie McGhee