From: Barbara Moulton [mailto:outermostsoul@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, June 29, 2009 2:45 PM
To: mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: FW: [RC] OUTRAGE - the Mongol Derby

--- On Mon, 6/29/09, Mike Sherrell <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 ?
Take care of the horses before they lose condition. For once they have
lost it, you may spare them as much as you will, they will never recover it
on the march. Don?t overload the riding horses, and no horse on the march is
to use a bit. If these orders are disobeyed commanders are authorized to
behead offenders on the spot, so as to protect the welfare of the horses,?
the great Khan warned.

My guess as to why the strict warning against using a bit is that Khan
wanted to insure more than the horses welfare but the also the success of
his empire expansion so he was thinking that if anyone was going to try to
turn tail from the thundering advance of he horde and run from a battle it
was a good military policy to make it as difficult as possible for riders to
overcome the pony's natural herd instincts. If a warrior disobeyed orders
and bitted his pony he must be thinking about wanting a plan B in his
toolkit so if the going got rough and he wanted to head for home he would
have a control advantage. ( maybe the commander's horses were bitted)In the
Kahn's eyes that proactive planning made him a deserter and bad example for
the troops already.   Those mongols rode and shot arrows as they charged,
the herd just charged forward enmass, only a coward would think a bit
necessary for the type of riding they were expected to perform to their
army's
victory or individual death.

ps I have been facinated with Mongolia since I was very young it has always
been my dream trip.  I think it is very appropriate to wonder about welfare
and treatment of the ponies and follow your own conscience as to whom you
address your concerns- check out the Fugly horse of the day threads on Jason
of Three Strikes Ranch and his planned extreme mustang race NO RULES win
money!  I haven't read yet about the other endurance type fiasco yet but
will soon.
Barbara